What is a Satellite Venue?
Satellites are essentially new training venues for gymnastics clubs and provide the opportunity for registered British Gymnastics clubs to:
- Expand Capacity within a club
- Act as feeder clubs into Primary venue
- Deliver new initiatives, programmes and disciplines
- Engage further with the local community
- Engage a different audience
- Develop and strengthen relationships with key partners
Where can a Satellite club run?
Satellites should run from an additional venue to the main hub club venue. The Satellite can vary from a school hall, a Community Centre, Youth Centre to a Church Hall etc. but they all have similar features:
- Based locally allowing access to a different audience
- Run every week for at least 1 hour
- A clear identity, reflecting that of the primary club
- Run by club coaches and volunteers - a key link to the club
- Less formal structure and membership that is based on the needs of the young people
- It's members reflect the local population
These satellite venues are vital for the development of gymnastics in Britain as they are responsible for increasing opportunities to participate and also to develop up and coming gymnasts. There are also a number of other benefits to setting up a new satellite venue, such as;
- Increased membership
- Greater number of children for talent identification
- A better structure for progression, using the proficiency awards
- Reduced waiting lists, therefore better service
- Increased income
- Providing opportunities for coaches to earn income
- Demonstrating effective school clubs link
Possible Income from this Model:
This example is based on British Gymnastics membership being paid by the parents for the 6-week temporary term for £7. (Prior to this they are entitled to two free taster sessions). If gymnasts then want to continue in the next term they can upgrade to Bronze membership for a further £5. There would be no outlay by the club or coaches for these memberships.
The figures shown below are an example to show how a satellite venue could generate income for a club. You may wish to alter this to suit your club. Please ensure that if you are going to pay coaches, you follow correct legal payment procedures.
The satellite venue must be registered with British Gymnastics as an additional venue. The satellite sessions must be run with the same standards and policies as the main gym club, i.e. adherence to child protection, welfare, health and safety etc.
Payment in advance for the 6 sessions is essential.
|School Site with a minimum of
12 children paying £3 per session
|12 x 3=
|School site 3.30 – 4.30
2 coaches @ £10 per hour
Income for the session during the week
Less coaches payments for the session
Profit for the session for 1 week
|If children book for a 6 week term, (they would pay up front) One session per week
A six week term would be £18, x minimum12 children
|12 x 18=
|Coaches booked for a 6 week term.
2 coaches @ £10 x 6
One session per week
|Termly profit Income
Less coaches payments
Funding Support for a new Satellite Venue
You may require funding to help with the set up of a satellite venue to pay for items such as equipment marketing and venue hire. There is a range of funding streams available that match the outcomes for this project and these funding streams could be around health, communities or sport. For more information regarding funding support to set up a new satellite venue, please email email@example.com or speak to your Business Support Coordinator.
Satellite Venue funding for 2016/17 will be available in 3 rounds. Clubs are therefore invited to apply for funding during the dates below for delivery between the outlined period below.
Your club can apply for up to £1250, to support with the set-up of a new Satellite Venue.
Satellite Funding Deadlines Dates for Delivery
02/09/2016 - 02/10/2016 For all satellite delivery between October and January
If you have any queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Please click here to download document Satellite Funding Application 2016 2017 (242 KB)
Please click here to download document Satellite Venue BG funding application support guide (235 KB)