Who is this Aimed at:
Level 2 coaches who wish to apply more advanced skills within their sessions.
What To Expect:
An informative course around the technical aspects of the syllabus and how to support progress and physically prepare participants for the skills covered within the syllabus.
One day – practical based*
*Except for aerobics which is one day - classroom based
Do I Need To Bring Participants:
The following numbers of participants are required per each discipline for the Level 3 Technical Module 2:
- Acrobatics - 2
- Aerobic – 3
- General Gym – 2
- MAG – 2
- Teamgym – 2
- Trampoline - 2
- Tumbling - 2
- WAG - 2
Do I Need To Find A Mentor:
No mentor is required for this course but this would benefit the learner while practising back in the club.
What Resources Are Included:
Course specific resource pack.*
*MAG includes online resources.
£100 for British Gymnastics gold members (£150 for non BG gold members)
By the end of the course the learner will understand:
- Technical aspects of skills from the syllabus
- How to support the skills from the syllabus
- How to progress and deliver the skills from the syllabus
- How to physically prepare participants for skills from the syllabus
*Aerobic outcomes are as follows.
By the end of the course the learner will understand:
- Scoring principles around aerobics
- Judging functions around aerobics
- The principles around routine construction and composition
How Long Before I Get Qualified:
Candidates have 2 years in which to get signed off
Learner must be at least 18 years old on the first day of the course
Am I eligible
Login to find out if you're eligible
There are 2 available avenues to be assessed on the Level 3 technical modules. They are as follows:
- • The learner can contact the assessor directly to arrange an assessment date. The names and contacts of the assessors are available on the learner’s Academy page under courses and Level 3 technical module assessments. Assessments can take place in the assessor’s gym or a venue requested by the learner. The learner will have to pay the travel expenses of the assessor.
- • British Gymnastics will arrange a venue and assessor for an assessment day and learners can book an assessment slot via the organiser at British Gymnastics.
A Level 3 assessment typically takes 1 hour and includes the following:
- • Warm Up (10 minutes maximum) – this is not part of the assessment.
- • Learner Delivery (40 – 50 minutes) – specified skills from the technical module sign-off feedback form.
- • Professional Discussion – (10 minutes maximum).
A maximum of 2 learners can be assessed by one assessor per assessment slot. A learner is able to book more than 1 module to be assessed on the day, however this is 1 hour per module.
Resources Required for Assessment
Sign-off Sheet – Learners must bring the relevant Technical Module sign-off sheet from the resource pack they were given on the course. If the learner has misplaced their form they should contact the Education department prior to their assessment to obtain a further copy.
Lesson Plan – Learners are required to bring a lesson plan to the assessment. The plan should be a minimum of one page of A4 (there is no maximum). The plan should include:
- • Specific skill progressions and key coaching points.
- • Related physical preparation.
- • Apparatus setup.
Training Plans and Evaluation Documents – The learner should be able to evidence they have spent time developing the relevant skills of the gymnasts they bring to the assessments.
- • Coaches may not have developed the whole skill with each gymnast, and instead may have been involved only in early progressions or in the refinement or remedial aspects for some. The is both acceptable and expected as gymnasts will be in different stages of the learning journey.
- • This evidence should be a minimum of one page of A4 and can be present in any format.
- • The training plans and evaluation documents are to facilitate both the professional discussion and final decision.
Appropriate Gymnasts – Learners are expected to bring 2 or 3 gymnasts, who they have spent time with developing the required level 3 skills. Gymnasts can be at varying levels in the skill development process and should be able to show the planned physical preparation and progressions. At least 1 gymnast must be able to perform the whole skill with support.
Professional Discussion and Final Decision
The purpose of the professional discussion is to engage the learner in further dialogue around their practical assessment, the development of skills and their general coaching practice to aid the final decision. The assessor can utilise the lesson plan, training plans and evaluation documents to aid this process.
The final decision will be based on:
- • The learner bringing the relevant resources (lesson plan, training plans and evaluation documents).
- • The learner bringing gymnasts of an appropriate level to show the skill requirements.
- • The learner demonstrating safe and appropriate physical preparation, progressions, setups and supporting in their practical assessment.
- • The learner’s ability to engage in further discussion around all elements of the assessment.
Once an application for assessment has been made, the learner is liable for the fee regardless of whether they later decide to withdraw voluntarily from the assessment.
If the learner cannot attend their chosen assessment date, notice of cancellation must be received by the organiser in writing. For more information on our cancellation policy and charges, please refer to the Education Course Terms and Conditions on the British Gymnastics website.
If Learner Deemed Competent
If deemed Competent, the assessor will complete the ‘Areas of Strength’ part of the sign-off form. The assessor will then send the sign-off form to British Gymnastics for processing of the award. Once processed the learner can download their certificate from the Academy page.
If Learner Deemed Not Competent
If deemed Not Competent, the assessor will complete the ‘Areas for Improvement’ part of the sign-off form and explain clearly to the learner the reasons for their decision. The assessor will advise the learner on how long (approximately) they should develop their practice before applying for a reassessment fee. The learner can be reassessed again, via the same process above and the reassessment fee is £30.
The below skills sign off sheet is what is required by the learner to demonstrate during sign off with the BG recognised assessor (see assessment tab for further details).
Learners will be provided with a hard copy of the below form.
Download this Skills Matrix
- Demonstrate competence in teaching full twisting backwards somersault
- Demonstrate competence in teaching rudi