Who is this Aimed at:
Performance Coaches (Level 4) that are supporting participants working towards senior international competitions.
What To Expect:
This course is a practical and theoretical course. It focuses on the technical aspects of the syllabus skills, how to support progress and how to physically prepare participants for the skills covered within the syllabus. It also explores the underpinning scientific theories and concepts which can be applied to the gymnast’s training and competition environment.
The course is delivered by multiple sessions in both the classroom and gym.
The number of course days will vary from course to course; see application stage and course page for further details.
Do I Need To Bring Participants:
You are expected to bring at least one gymnast who is working towards skills on this syllabus.
Do I Need To Find A Mentor:
A formal mentor is not required. However, you are encouraged to engage in mentoring with a coach of the same level or higher in your discipline.
What Resources Are Included:
You will receive Common Core and Sport Specific resource packs, and a Logbook.
By the end of the course learners will understand:
- Technical skills from the syllabus
- The discipline’s competition structure and the requirements involved at various competitive levels
- Different Strength and Conditioning concepts relevant to the age and stage of maturation a gymnast goes through
- Practical Strength and Conditioning strategies
- The prevention and management of injuries
- The coaching process, and how to be an effective coach in a Performance setting
- Application of key sport psychology strategies to holistically support your gymnasts
- Nutritional advice for gymnasts
Learner must be at least 18 years old on the first day of the course
- Learner must hold one of the following awards:
- Tumbling - Senior Club Coach
- Tumbling - Level 4 Certificate In Coaching Gymnastics - Senior Coach
- Tumbling - Performance Coach
- Tumbling - Performance Coach Module 1 AND Tumbling - Performance Coach Module 2
- Tumbling - Level 3 Technical Module 3
Am I eligible
Login to find out if you're eligible
Practical – including planning and delivering a practical session including the skills from the skills matrix.
Theory – including sport specific and common core written papers (2 hours per paper).
Logbook – including a range of tasks relating to both practical and theory aspects of the course.
Practical sign-off for the High-Performance Coach Module 1 must be by a British Gymnastics recognised assessor.
For sign-off gymnasts must be those that you have been working with and developing.
How Long Until I Am Fully Qualified:
On sign-off of the course assessments you will receive a British Gymnastics Performance Coach Tumbling Module 1 certificate and be eligible to coach the skills covered within the syllabus.
When Is My Assessment?
It is your responsibility to arrange the sign-off with a British Gymnastics recognised assessor.
You have up to 2 years from day 1 of the course to arrange and complete your assessment.
Learners are to select one skill from each of the groups below and create a plan which develops all selected skills (15-20 minutes per skill). The plan must give details of the prerequisites of the skill, carefully selected progressions, and the specific physical training and preparation which would be needed by the gymnasts to perform the skill. The appropriate use of support and apparatus during the learning phases should also be indicated.
On the assessment day the learner must bring a minimum of one gymnast to the assessment, and their planning for all pre-selected skills. The learner and assessor will have a Professional Discussion prior to the assessment to establish which two skills from the plans will be delivered in the assessment. The learner must ensure the gymnast(s) are physically prepared to demonstrate the skills selected and planned for, and a copy of the session plans must be handed to the assessor at the start of the assessment.
In the assessment the learner must:
- Carry out a specific warm up with all gymnasts (10 minutes maximum)
- Coach the two skills agreed through the Professional Discussion, in accordance to the pre-prepared session plans (45-50 minutes maximum)
- Carry out an appropriate cool down for all the gymnasts (5 minutes maximum)
- Dismiss the gymnasts in an appropriate manner
The assessment debrief and outcome will be conducted after the practical assessment.
Download this Skills Matrix
Full in 1½ twist out pucked
Full in 1½ twist out stretched
Full in Double-full out pucked
Full in Double-full out stretched (stretched Miller)
Double‐full in Double‐full out (stretched Killer)