The Northern Ireland Gymnastics Awards Ceremony took place at The National Football Stadium at Windsor Park on Saturday 25th February 2017. The annual event combined The British Gymnastics Northern Ireland and Gymnastics Northern Ireland Awards recognising, rewarding and celebrating the hard work our members have done for the amazing sport of Gymnastics over the past 18 months.
This year’s ceremony was opened by Bryony Page, Olympic Silver Medallist, as the guest speaker and hosted by Claire McCollum, freelance broadcaster, with over 140 guests attending the fantastic evening from sixteen clubs across the home country. The awards were presented to our clubs, coaches and volunteers by a variety of special guests including representatives from; Sport Northern Ireland, Volunteer Now, Disability Sport Northern Ireland, Ulster University, British Gymnastics, Gymnastics Northern Ireland and the Lord Mayor of Belfast.
An impressive 50 nominations were received, in a very competitive judging process the following were announced as the British Gymnastics Northern Ireland and Gymnastics Northern Ireland award winners. A big congratulations to all nominees, runner ups and winners:
• Volunteer of the Year Award - Angela McGowan (Arabesque Gymnastics Club)
• Young Volunteer of the Year Award - Aimie Carson (Peninsula Trampolining and DMT Club)
• Inclusive Gymnastics Award – Stephanie Martin (Rathgael Gymnastics and Tumbling Club)
• Young Coach of the Year Award - Conor McGovern (City of Lisburn Salto)
• Participation Coach of the Year Award – Nadia McAleavey (Dynamic Gymnastics Club)
• Performance Pathway Coach of the Year Award – Gail O’Neill (Peninsula Trampolining and DMT Club)
• Services to Gymnastics Award - Sinead Connolly (Club GymFUN)
• Club of the Year Award – Ballysillan Gymnastics Club
Congratulations also go to the Gymnastic Northern Ireland Gymnasts of the Year recipients, for their hard work, dedication and outstanding achievements in 2016:
• Men’s Artistic – Rhys McClenaghan (Rathgael Gymnastics and Tumbling Club)
• Acro – Enya Ross, Jessica Glass and Robyn Jackson (Flight Gymnastics Academy)
• Gymnastics for All – Cara Burns (Mourne Gymnastics Club)
• Trampoline – Jack Cairnduff (Peninsula Trampolining and DMT Club)
• Rhythmic – Alena Romanovskaya (APPA NI)
• Women’s Artistic- Nicole Mawhinney (City of Lisburn Salto)
It was fantastic to see such a great turn out from the gymnastics community to support and celebrate the achievements within the sport in Northern Ireland. We look forward to hosting the next ceremony in 2018.