There are a wide variety of competitive opportunities available for school-aged children of all abilities:
1. Key Step - for Primary Schools
There are three gymnastics disciplines in Key Step with three levels of ability in each. These are:
- Floor: Routines include balancing, jumping, rolling and flexibility skills.
- Vault: Skills are performed travelling on and off a bench/raised platform.
- Body Management: Routines include strength, flexibility, balancing and coordination skills.
To prepare your pupils for a Key Step competition and/or to host an event, all you need is basic equipment such as floor mats, a springboard, a bench and a box top/trestle table.
Register as a British Gymnastics Partner School and you’ll have access to our resources which include coaching points, judging guidance and a competition pack.
2. Next Steps - for Secondary Schools
There are three gymnastics disciplines in Next Steps with three levels of ability in each. These are:
- Trampoline: Gymnasts perform a body management routine on the floor, set skills on the trampoline and a set routine on the trampoline.
- Acro: Gymnasts work in pairs or groups to perform synchronised floor routines focussing on strength, flexibility, power and grace. Routines consist of pair/group balances, dance and tumbles.
- Rhythmic: Each ability level offers a choice of apparatus and 'set' or 'optional' sequences:
Step 1 - Hoop or Ball set sequence
Step 2 - Ribbon set sequence or Hoop or Ball optional sequence
Step 3 - Rope set sequence or Ribbon optional sequence.
3. GymChallenge - for Secondary Schools
An alternative way to keep pupils active, GymChallenge introduces gymnastics skills with a twist. Participants are not marked on technical excellence, GymChallenge is focused on fun and fitness and participants are not marked on technical excellence. All abilities can experience the thrill of a team competition without the pressure and with no requirements for specialist equipment. By joining the British Gymnastics Partner School Programme you will have access to our GymChallenge resource pack which includes the challenge cards, scoresheets, and certificates as well as a delivery guide.
The British Schools Gymnastics Association (BSGA) promotes participation in, and the development of gymnastics in UK schools. It embraces all gymnastics disciplines and is fully inclusive of able bodied children and those with disabilities.
The BSGA offers alternative competition pathways for novice and intermediate gymnasts whilst also encouraging elite performers to excel in their disciplines at the same events.
Head to their website to find out more.
School Games Pathway
Level 1 intra-school: An in-house competition just for your school.
- Primary School - Challenge Cards: floor work, vault and apparatus sessions.
- Primary School - Competition Cards: floor work, vault and rhythmic competition formats.
- Secondary School resource: Acrobatic, Rhythmic Hoop, Rhythmic Ribbon and Synchronised Trampoline competition formats.
Level 2 inter-school: A team of pupils represent your school at an inter-school event.
- Primary School - Key Step: Teams of six represent the school at step 1, 2 and 3 in floor, vault and body management. Top teams advance to the level 3 competition.
The more experienced gymnasts can compete in an individual strand of the Key Step competition.
- Secondary School - GymChallenge: Teams of 10 represent the school. Top teams advance to the level 3 competition.
Level 3 - county level: Qualifying teams from level 2 are invited to compete at county level in Key Step and GymChallenge. They both follow the level 2 competition formats.