This policy outlines how we process personal information when you use the GYMSHOP website and when you buy something from our shop.
GYMSHOP is the trading name of Gymnastic Enterprise Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of British Gymnastics (BG). You’ll see Gymnastics Enterprise Ltd abbreviated to GEL in our Terms and Conditions. We work closely with British Gymnastics who provides Marketing, Customer Service, Finance and IT support services on our behalf. We are committed to protecting the privacy of our customers and providing a secure online shopping experience. This policy together with our Terms & Conditions sets out the basis on which we process information about you.
Information we collect about you when you use our website
You do not need to give us any information about yourself to view the GEL website. When you access the website, our webserver logs your Internet Protocol (IP) address (a unique set of numbers that identifies one or more devices on a computer network), browser identifier and the time of access.
We will need to process information about you if you register as a member of GYMSHOP or log in using a British Gymnastics membership number, and if you buy something from GYMSHOP or you agree to receive our marketing communications.
How we use information about you for contractual purposes
If you buy from GYMSHOP, you can either register or log in as a GYMSHOP member, or as a British Gymnastics member or make your purchases as a guest. We will ask you to provide certain information such as your name, address, details of your credit/debit card (only if you are paying by credit/debit card), telephone number, email address and any delivery information so that we can process and fulfill your order and notify you of your order/delivery status. We will use your contact information to contact you if there are any problems with your order or any items you have returned.
If you are a Club or Organisation with an approved credit limit with British Gymnastics, and have logged in using your British Gymnastics membership number, and opt to pay by BACS GYMSHOP’s system will automatically ask British Gymnastics to confirm that you have a credit account and sufficient credit to cover the order before allowing you to complete your order. GYMSHOP will not access your account details or retain them.
We do not store any credit/debit card details. If you log in to GYMSHOP using your British Gymnastics membership number, British Gymnastics will verify that your membership is current and share your address to autofill your registered address details. Should there be any discounts or special offers for British Gymnastics’ members, British Gymnastics will also verify that your membership number is entitled to these discounts or offers.
How we use information about you for legitimate purposes
We process personal information about you or the following purposes where we have a legitimate interest to do so:
- Registering GYMSHOP members.
- To register as a GYMSHOP member, we require your name, address, email and telephone number to provide you with the goods you order. We will set up an account, securely store the information you have provided, and maintain a record of purchases on your account. Therefore, GYMSHOP will automatically update these fields the next time you log in to order items or return any items. You can delete your GYMSHOP account at any time. If your account is inactive for over 2 years, your account will be de-activated. We may need to retain information about you if there is a legal reason to do so.
- Sending you information about similar products to those you have previously purchased.
- When you have purchased a product from GYMSHOP, we may send you permissible information about similar products, offers or events, although you will be able to opt out of these communications at the time of purchase or at any point in the future by following the instructions in any of the relevant emails you receive.
- Responding to questions, feedback and requests for information or assistance.
- You can contact us by telephone, email or letter. We do not record calls or retain any records of calls unless you agree. However, if you are a GYMSHOP or British Gymnastics member, we may log important calls and other communications on your account. We will use the information you provide to respond and will retain any correspondence for up to one year after the matter is resolved.
- If you contact us by email these come into GYMSHOP through our FreshDesk system. These services are provided on our behalf by FreshWorks who are US-hosted and certified as adhering to the EU-US Privacy Shield. For more information please see FreshWorks’ Privacy Notice
- We may use communications information to compile anonymous statistical reports showing information like the number and type of query and how they have been resolved. Occasionally we will use information provided to develop case studies for learning and development purposes. We will be very careful to ensure that any information that could identify a person will be removed or changed to preserve anonymity.
- Monitoring the effectiveness of our website and communications.
- We also use your IP address to analyse the number of people who are accessing our website at any one time and the types of device being used and the website user behaviour patterns. This information helps us to make improvements to our website and services. Unless you provide other information about yourself, we will not be able to identify you. However, we would not normally use IP addresses to identify individuals except if this is deemed to be necessary to investigate problems or potential misuse of the system. We also monitor whether our electronic communications are received and opened.
- Responding to complaints about our website, products and services
- We use the personal information provided to respond to the complaint and to monitor the service we provide. We will retain information relating to complaints for three years from the point that the matter is closed unless there is a legitimate and lawful reason to retain the information for longer e.g. regulatory or compliance purposes or to exercise or defend legal claims. We may compile anonymous statistical reports showing information like the number and type of complaints and outcomes. Occasionally we will use information provided in complaints to develop case studies for learning and development purposes. We will be very careful to ensure that any information that could identify a person involved in the case will be removed or changed to preserve anonymity.
- To invite you to participate in BG research.
- On occasion, we invite people who have purchased something from GYMSHOP to participate in research to help us understand your views and needs and to develop our services. On occasion, we ask external research companies to carry out this research on our behalf. You may be contacted by email inviting you to participate.
You have the right to object to any of the above sharing of your information which we do so on legitimate interest grounds using our Objection to Data Processing form. Please bear in mind that if you object this may affect our ability to carry out the tasks above for your benefit.
Marketing from British Gymnastics and The British Gymnastics Foundation
You will be able to unsubscribe at any point from electronic communications from BG or BGF by using the ‘unsubscribe’ link at the end of the relevant electronic communication.
Other lawful reasons for using information about you
We may need to process information about you to comply with applicable laws and protect our legitimate interests and legal rights, including, but not limited to, use in connection with legal claims, compliance, regulatory, investigative purposes (including disclosure of such information in connection with legal process or litigation).
Why we share information about you
We may share your information with external service providers who we contract to provide specific products or services on our behalf.
We may use the services of a third-party provider to help us in certain areas. For example, British Gymnastics provides our website and other IT systems as well as customer service support and financial services. Other areas where we may use third-party providers include electronic communications, printing and fulfilment, photography and filming and market research.
If you purchase a bespoke or very large items of equipment, this may be shipped directly from the supplier so we will need to provide them with your contact details and delivery information for them to deliver the product/s you have purchased. We limit the personal data that we share to the minimum required to provide the service and the provider will only be able to use personal data for the specific purposes for which it was shared.
We will not share any information you have provided for any other purpose unless there is a legitimate and lawful reason to do so or you have provided your consent.
You have these rights in respect of information we process about you. To exercise any of your rights, please contact us using the details below.
We keep our privacy notices under regular review. This privacy notice was last updated on 29th September 2017.
How to contact us
Gymnastics Enterprise Ltd