Last Sunday, British Gymnastics hosted its first ever Recreational Coaching Conference, where members of the gymnastics community came together to discuss topics around recreational gymnastics.
Held at Shrewsbury Gymnastics Academy, the Conference welcomed 36 coaches from clubs across the UK who took part in numerous theoretical and practical workshops.
The workshops looked at:
- The differing perceptions of gymnasts and parents
- Understanding gymnast goals
- The principles of recreational gymnastics and how they can be applied in sessions
- How to make sessions more inclusive
- How we aim to apply our ethos into recreational gymnastics
Former GB gymnast, Kristian Thomas was one of the speakers on the day who talked about his coaching career and his passion for recreational gymnastics.
Commenting on the contents of the day, one attendee said: "The content was relatable and informative. We came away with some really creative ideas"
Another attendee added: "It was a great opportunity to network, share ideas, learn and develop.”
British Gymnastics will be hosting another Conference in Northern Ireland in March and hope that the Recreational Coaches Conferences will become an annual event.