- We regret that we are today announcing the cancellation of all British Gymnastics National events from now until the end of June 2020. This difficult decision has been made following the latest Government advice regarding the hosting of mass gatherings during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and based on the need to protect our members, supporters and the resilience of the emergency and public health services.
- This includes our two major events, the FIG World Cup in Birmingham on Saturday 28 March, the British Artistic Championships in Liverpool on Thursday 16 to Sunday 19 April and a further 10 national events.
- Given the UK Government’s latest advice with respect to the hosting of mass gatherings at this time, and the challenges faced by our community clubs, regions and home nations we made the decision to cancel our events in the interest of public health.
- We have made the decision to cancel all national events until the end of June in the hope this decisive action will remove uncertainty within the gymnastics community and take the pressure off regions, clubs, coaches, gymnasts and volunteers. We hope removing the pressure of preparing for these events will allow clubs to more effectively manage the challenges they are facing.
- We understand and share the disappointment of everyone involved and affected by this decision. Our principal concern is with the health and wellbeing of our gymnasts, their families, staff, volunteers, officials, coaches and supporters.
In light of the UK Government’s move from the ‘contain’ to the ‘delay’ phase of their coronavirus action plan, and the updated advice with respect to the hosting of mass gatherings British Gymnastics has made the difficult decision to cancel all national events from today until Tuesday 30 June.
Jane Allen MBE, Chief Executive Officer, British Gymnastics said, “This was a very difficult decision and we share the disappointment of members, gymnasts, coaches, clubs and volunteers. However, our number one priority is the health and wellbeing of the whole gymnastics family.
We have made the decision to cancel all events until the end of June in the hope that this decisive action will remove uncertainty and take the pressure off clubs, coaches and gymnasts. We hope removing the pressure of preparing for these events will allow clubs to more effectively manage the challenges they are facing.
This announcement is focussed specifically on national events. Please understand, all other British Gymnastics activities continue as usual. We will continue to review our activities daily based on advice and guidance from the Government and Public Health England.”
Whilst the cancellation of these events will have an impact on everybody, it is important to note our elite gymnasts will continue to train and compete where possible, and we will continue to support them in their goal to be selected to compete at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic games.
Anyone with tickets for the FIG World Cup or British Artistic Championships will receive a refund directly from the respective venue in Birmingham or Liverpool. You can find more information on The Ticket Factory and M&S Bank arena websites.
Entry fees and spectator tickets for other British Gymnastics national events will be refunded, and we aim to process refunds as soon as possible.
We’re mindful of the impact cancellations particularly have on qualification and selection. We’re working closely with technical committees and relevant parties to identify what steps we need to take to resolve any issues caused by cancellations.
The events affected by this cancellation are:
- Trampoline Spring Event Series 1
21st - 22nd March, Telford International Centre
- Rhythmic Junior/ Senior Open & Group Seeding
21st - 22nd March, Fenton Manor Sports Complex, Stoke on Trent
- FIG World Cup
28th March, Arena Birmingham, Birmingham
- Artistic British Championships (MAG & WAG)
16th - 19th April, M&S Bank Arena, Liverpool
- Women’s Artistic National Compulsory Levels 4, 3, 2
9th - 10th May, Fenton Manor Sports Complex, Stoke on Trent
- GymFusion London
9th May, Copper Box, London
- Acrobatic NDP & IDP Finals and Disability Acrobatic Finals
16th - 17th May, Fenton Manor Sports Complex, Stoke on Trent
- Trampoline and Tumbling Spring Event Series 2
16th - 17th May, Telford International Centre
- Women's Artistic NDP 4,3,2,1
23rd - 24th May, Fenton Manor Sports Complex, Stoke on Trent
- Trampoline and Tumbling NDP Individual & Regional Team Finals
6th - 7th June, Arena Birmingham, Birmingham
- Rhythmic NDP Finals and Group League Round 1
13th - 14th June, Fenton Manor Sports Complex, Stoke on Trent
- GymFusion York
27th - 28th June, Barbican, York