British Gymnastics (BG) is committed to providing its members with the highest levels of customer service. This includes protecting the privacy of its members and ensuring a secure online experience.
In general, members can view the British Gymnastics website and all the latest news and results without telling BG who they are or revealing any information about themselves. Sometimes however, BG needs to monitor website usage for web site and BG services development.
BG’s Privacy Statement contains the following important information regarding the use of personal information.
• What is personal information?
• How BG collects personal information
• How BG uses personal information
• When BG discloses personal information
• Storage and security of personal information
• Access to personal information
1. What is personal information?
Personal information is information about an individual who can be identified, or whose identity could be reasonably ascertained, from the information.
2. How BG collects personal information
To deliver and enhance the services offered by BG, certain personal information is collected. BG collects personal information from individuals when:
• The individual registers an affiliated club
• The individual registers to become a member
• The member enters a BG event or participation programme
• The individual participates in a BG course
• The individual requests information from BG
• The individual provides information to BG staff
• The individual participates in a BG survey
3. How BG uses personal information
BG will only collect information that is necessary for them to carry out the primary purpose of providing services relating to: membership, education and events. Personal information may be used in order to:
• Provide the services required
• Internal accounting and administration
• Regulatory reporting and compliance
• Help BG to inform and identify other products or services that may be of benefit
BG will also share information with two wholly BG-owned subsidiary companies, namely Gymnastics Enterprises Limited (GEL) that provides BG merchandise, awards and resources and ticketing for some BG events and The British Gymnastics Foundation (BGF); a charity that provides grants and supports community gymnastics and activity.
If BG or a subsidiary company sends any information about services or products that are not required, or a member does not want personal information disclosed to any other organisation (including related organisations) they can advise BG accordingly by writing to the Customer Service Manager.
If the member does not advise BG otherwise, they will be deemed to have confirmed their agreement on their own behalf and/or on behalf of others that they represent.
4. When we disclose personal information
BG discloses personal information to other organisations that is necessary to assist in providing services. The organisations include outsourced service providers who manage the services provided to members, including:
• Education Services (UKCC)
• Competitions, events and safeguarding support (Regional Associations)
• Print and fulfillment companies
• Professional advisors, including accountants, auditors and lawyers
• Government and regulatory authorities and other organisations, as required or authorised by law
BG limits the use and disclosure of any personal information to such organisations for the specific purpose for which it is supplied.
When a member provides BG with personal information about other individuals, BG relies on that member to make the individual aware that the information has been provided to BG and for what purpose, and to whom it may be disclosed and also how they can access their information. This is extremely important for club secretaries who are providing the personal information on behalf of their members.
5. Storage and Security of personal information
BG stores personal information on a computer database. The personal information may be held in both paper file and computer file form. BG has implemented measures of a reasonable nature to ensure that all personal information is securely stored from misuse, loss and unauthorised handling.
6. Accuracy of personal information
BG takes reasonable steps to ensure that whenever personal information is collected or disclosed, it is accurate, complete and up to date.
7. Access to personal information
The member has a right to access their personal information, subject to some exceptions allowed by law. The member can gain access to their personal information by contacting BG. The member may also advise BG at any time about possible breaches of privacy, or inaccurate, incomplete personal information, that may have changed.